Wednesday, September 8, 2010

GroBaby-Now GroVia *Review*











I wanted to try this diaper, but it was out of my price range. That is, until babysteals.com had it as their steal of the day a while back! The price was $47 for a 3 pack. Pretty good deal! I was really excited to try these out. All in all I like them, but they have a few draw backs. They aren't the first diaper I grab in my stash, but they do get used regularly. I accidentally threw one away, and I really miss it, so I guess that says something! The package I bought contained three shells, three snap in soakers, and three booster soakers. The whole thing is made mostly of organic materials, which is probably why they are so expensive. These diapers can also be used with a disposable insert, making them a hybrid diaper. I haven't used the disposable option, so my review is only for the cotton soaker. The idea behind the snap in soaker is that you should be able to just swap out soakers as long as the outer shell didn't get soiled. These come with snaps or velcro, which ever you prefer. They come in a wide variety of 10 different adorable colors and prints. I purchased the one size version, but they also make a sized diaper as well.


I gave this diaper a 3 out of 4 stars.

1.) Quality/Durability. GroBaby got the highest possible marks in this category from me. There is no doubt at all that this is a quality made diaper that will last easily through at least two children. I might even guess three. I have been using this diaper for 4 months now, and they show almost no signs of wear. The only signs being in the velcro area. But it's not even a big deal. I have one snapping version, and it's easily my favorite snap diaper. The snaps are the most durable compared to others. They obviously used a quality snap that isn't going to break. The material is also clearly a high quality material. It doesn't seem to snag at all (who doesn't get the occasional hang nail?) and it doesn't show any signs of wear after repeated washings. The elastic around the leg casing seems to be a thicker width, which makes it fit and lay nicely on my little one. There is no velcro "landing strip" to worry about on the velcro version. The tabs just stick anywhere in the top portion of the rise. It's made of a soft feeling material that the hook portion of the tab sticks to really well. This makes for an excellent fit, and also makes the front of the diaper look nice and smooth. The soaker is made of 6 layers of organic cotton, so not only does it absorb well, but it takes a beating in the washing machine well too. The craftsmanship on this diaper is excellent, not a seam out of place on any of the three diapers I have.

2.)Do they work? The short answer: Yes. The longer answer: If you are expecting a diaper that you only have to change the inserts out of to use less shells......then probably not. I don't use my diaper in that way. Once it's been used, I toss the whole thing in the diaper pail, even if it was just pee. The reason being, there's a "quick dry mesh" liner on the inside of the shell. It doesn't dry all that quick for me, and the soaker doesn't have anything to protect wetness from the shell liner it's self. I understand that when the company switched names from GroBaby to GroVia, they might have fixed that problem by adding a waterproof backing to the soaker. So, if you buy the new version, you might have better luck in that department. But for me, if I can't wipe it clean with cloth wipe or towel, then I'm not reusing it. I guess it's just a sanitary thing for me. My little girl gets diaper rashes really easily, so I don't want to put anything with bacteria-dried or not- on her bottom. This doesn't change the fact that I like the diaper, it just changes the fact that I don't think they can be used the way they advertise. Again, this may have been fixed in the newer version. The laundry tabs on the velcro are ok, but they always come undone in the wash. This is another feature that appears to have been fixed by the addition of little loops to slide the tab under for washing. That makes them that much better if you do buy the new ones! As far as leaks go, we have never had a single one in these diapers. They fit and absorb so well that leaks just haven't happened! Not even a blow out. The soaker was designed to have elastic around the edges to help contain poo. It doesn't really work that way, we always get poo on the shell. But the important thing is, it doesn't escape the diaper and run down the leg! Over all, they work.

3.) Cute Factor. They have it. They fit so nicely, and aren't too bulky which makes them cute under clothing. But the prints and colors that they have are also cute. GroVia uses nice jewel tones as well as some softer tones so you get a nice variety with this line. The prints are modern and adorable which will make you want to own them all! Weather you buy snaps or velcro, you will find that the front of the diaper has a nice smooth look when it's on.

4.) Overall Value. This is the part where I shy away. If I hadn't come across the package deal on baby steals, I may not have bought this diaper. It retails at $24.95 and you only get the shell and one soaker, no booster. I know it's organic, which is great, but it's still too expensive in my opinion. For that price, they should at least make the booster part of the deal. There are packages you can buy to save money, but I wouldn't recommend blowing all your stash money on a big package until you try one first. I always give that advice though. What works for me, might not work for you! I love the three I have (well....two now), but won't be buying more unless they get cheaper soon.


Another note about this diaper. The soaker is great, but it doesn't dry very quickly. I dry most of my soakers and inserts in the dryer, and this one is never dry at the end of the cycle. I always have to finish it by air drying. It's not that big of a deal, but I know for some people, especially us working moms, we don't have time to wait around for soakers to dry! If you line dry this diaper completely, you are lookin at a very extended drying time. I tried to line dry once, and the soaker wound up being very stiff. Since I have to pay to dry, popping it in the dryer to soften it up isn't an option. The organic cotton can be scratchy against baby's skin, even when dried in the dryer, so I avoid these when my little one has a rashy bum. In fact, the soaker in this diaper has caused irritation spots on my little girls inner thigh from where it rubs, so we don't leave this diaper on for too long.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails