




After trying, and not really liking gDiapers, I went on the hunt for a different hybrid system that I might like better. I found it! Flip Diapers are just as easy to use, maybe even easier. They are equally as cheap gDiapers, but much more durable. In the category of hybrids, this is my top pick. I've used these for about 2 months in heavy rotation so we have a great deal of experience with them. I feel like I've put them through the paces, and they are awesome! They were recommended to me by my cousin in-law, who said she loved them. So I thought I'd try them out, and I am grateful to her for suggesting them to me! This is a two part system, just like gDiapers, but with a little less fuss. They also have a cloth or disposable option, just like gDiapers. They are made by Cotton Babies, who also make BumGenius!, so you know they are a quality product.
I gave them a 4 out of 4 stars. Here's the break down:
1.) Quality/Durability. This is a very durable product. It's comprised of a waterproof outer shell, that's lined with PUL for water resistance. This is a one size diaper, so it has three rows of snaps that adjust the rise, and two rows of several snaps to adjust the waist. The snaps are of decent quality, but not the best I've ever seen. They seem to be holding up just fine though. Since there's no velcro to worry about, this product washes up beautifully with no problems. It's awesome for the fact that the fabric is water proof, and takes maybe a half hour to line dry. You don't want to throw this in the dryer because of the PUL, but you don't even need to. After two months of use, I see no noticeable wear and tear. They still look like brand new. There's no snap in liner to worry about, as opposed to the gDiaper, so you don't have to worry about replacing anything. I use prefolds with mine, something you can't do very easily with gDiapers. I can't attest to the quality of the stay dry inserts, or the disposable inserts, as I don't use them. But the outer shell is awesome on many levels. It's a quality diaper cover that my baby will be able to wear until potty training. I like that they adjust as she grows so I don't have to worry about buying new sizes in the future.
2.) How well do they work? They work GREAT! We had to wait about a month after she was born to start using these because of the fact that they are one size, meaning they adjust from small to large. Once she fit the small setting, we were off and running. I use them in a few ways. I use them as cover when I fold a prefold and put them on my little one in the traditional way with a snappi. The Flip cover fits perfectly this way, no leaks. Something you can't do with gDiapers. My hubby really likes to just take a prefold, fold it in thirds, and lay it flat inside the Flip cover. This works awesome too! No leaks this way either. Lastly, we have tried our gDiapers disposable inserts in the Flip cover. Works great, they fit perfectly and are the same size as Flips' own version of disposable insert, so you don't have to order them online if you don't want to. You can just run to your local Babies R Us and grab your self some g inserts, and be fine. I'm not sure how gDiapers cloth inserts work in the Flips because I have never tried them. They look to be too small though. The Flip diaper fits well, is made well, and that makes it work well. The ease of use is a big factor for me. If your diaper change just involved urine, you can wipe the shell with a wipe, and let it air dry until the next change. If you only got a liiiiiiiiiiiitle tiny spot of poopy on the shell, you could do the same, wipe it and let it air dry. The PUL coating makes this possible. The gDiaper, being cloth means, if you get poopy on it, you wash it. And if a little bit of urine gets on it, you have to wash it because you can't wipe it. Even if you hand washed it to use it again before wash day, your still talking a couple of hours of hang drying time.
3.) Are they cute? Yes! Because they don't bulk up like a gDiaper does, they look cute while they are on. They come in a variety of colors, and the maker will be releasing even more colors and prints within the next few months! Exciting!
4.) Overall value. I feel these are a tremendous value! They are a one size system that lasts from birth to potty training, meaning you won't have to buy different sizes as your babe grows. SO you COULD buy say, 6 of these, and never have to buy another. And they WILL last for multiple children, they are very durable. If you get the stay dry inserts, you may have to replace them at some point because they are a synthetic fabric, but they aren't expensive at all. Prefolds last a long time, and work well in this system. Prefolds are cheap! So lets add this up and compare to gDiapers.
Flip offers a "day pack", so lets start there. One day pack actually WILL last you for one day, more if you use prefolds. So you can get 3 day packs , which include 2 shells and 6 stay dry inserts for 49.95 each, Grand total of 149.85. A few bucks more in the cloth category than gDiapers, but remember, you won't have to replace these as they wear out (cuz they won't for a very long time) or as your baby grows.
Or you can buy 6 Shells at 13.95 each for $83.70 and get a pack of gDiapers inserts for 14.99. Total of 98.69 and you only have to buy more inserts in the future.
ORRRRrrrrr you can get the 6 shells, and add on say 12 Diaper Rite prefolds for $24 bucks (size small) and not have to continue to buy the inserts. You may want 24 prefolds if you plan on using this system full time, but 12 is a great starting point and will get you through 2 days before wash time.
I can go on and on with the combos, but I bet you get my point. They are cheaper, easier, work better and are a better value. I highly recommend this system over gDiapers for anyone looking for a hybrid diaper. I didn't even touch on the fact that there's organic cotton versions of their inserts as well! If you choose to try Flips, let us all know how you liked them!
Tweet
0 comments:
Post a Comment